Whoever said oversized on oversized is breaking a fashion rule clearly never experienced the cool comfort of boyfriend jeans with a super soft t-shirt or sweater. As much as I lovelovelove me some curve hugging denim, sometimes I simply don’t want to feel like I was glued in to my trousers. And if I believe what men tell me (should we?) there’s not much sexier than seeing her in his clothing. Although some of your lovely assets might get covered up more in boyfriend jeans, it doesn’t mean they’re not feminine in their own right; they’re simply a perfect blend of polished and pleasantly undone!
To make you more at ease in the territory of boyfriend bottoms, I’ve put together five little styling tips that I often apply:
1) Soften these boyish bottoms with a feminine top like a spaghetti strap cami or a silk shirt (with your prettiest lace triangle bra underneath).
2) Statement shoes pull all of this together. Go a little crazy and throw in a rhinestone or two or bold print while you’re at it. Voila; vamped up!
3) If you’re like me, you probably always think of boyfriend jeans in a medium blue wash. Why not venture out to black for an interesting, edgier look which will look sharp enough for a night out.
4) Cuff the bottoms or casually roll ‘em up, to flash a bit of flesh. Nothing sexier than some ankle showing! Or opt for an already cropped style.
5) While a nude strappy sandal or statement pump might make sense as footwear for this look, it can prove more interesting to top off with mens inspired shoes. Try a printed penny loafer or a brogue for maximum comfort and style.
The one I’m wearing is from Levi’s and that brings me to the last tip. Remember I told you about their cool Station to Station project? The media agency of my blog, VICE, did a big video report on it and you can find the last part here - and watching all the artists makes me want to a) go to the US and b) get creative! An essential boost with so much to do for my Blog Class Event this Sunday. Now I’ll just be repeating to myself that I have as many hours in a day as Beyoncé…
LEVI’S DENIM / T BY ALEXANDER WANG SHIRT / YSL CLUTCH / DUNE PUMPS
photos by Karen van Duijvenbode